Saturday, October 22, 2011

Concert Monday @ 8

Hello again,

Yesterday in experimental music workshop, we performed realizations of Six for percussion by John Cage.  My instruments included a book, a spiral notebook, my keys, a stainless steel bowl, and a guitar case.  It's by far one of my favorite classes.  


Monday night @ 8 in ROD Music Hall at CalArts is the first of the Undergraduate Composers Concert series.  I'll be performing a premier of a recently written piece for technician and audio (0.0; 10/24/11). Take a look at the text score and you will see what I mean by "a" premier.  The basic premise of the piece is to make a recording in a location, in this case a performance space, then play it back in another location while making a new recording.  I'm extremely interested in this process of creating telescopic sound environments and I don't know of anyone else who is doing this.  I'll post the results once I have them!


For now, I'll leave you with another short recording.  This was created by recording the car rides from home to CalArts and back (I hung my Zoom from my rear-view mirror), and mixing them together.  THEN I chopped the result into 6 equal parts and played them all simultaneously.  My very initial idea was to capture the process of the signal of my car radio going from clean near my house, to total static as I approach school; but this was also for a class on electro-acoustic composition and there were time constraints.  So it turned into this 3-and-a-half-minute cross-section of a sonic experience lasting something like 45 minutes.  I found out later that this is very similar to Weiss/Weisslich 22 by Peter Ablinger which does the same thing with the symphonic works of major classical composers.  There are audio examples of this to be found at the link above; they're mind-blowing.  No official title for this yet, but let's tentatively call it, in subtle reference to Ablinger's work, home to/from calarts:


http://www.mediafire.com/?xh0oj2jkfu40ul0

-- Aidan Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment